Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 18 Nov 2017  -  24,898 views
This is a quick updates of two changes that I thought would be important/useful to communicate to everyone.
Day Change Computation
Previously, the day change shown on the main page of your personal portfolio was computed naively. It was simply how many shares of a stock you own at the end of the day multiply by the change in price (TodayClose - YesterdayClose).
Previously = SharesYouOwn
AtEndOfDay x (TodayClose - YesterdayClose)
This is fine on most days
but it is wrong if you bought shares of that stock on that day. We should use the price you bought it for instead of yesterday's close for those shares.
Now = [SharesYouOwn
AtEndOfYesterday x (TodayClose - YesterdayClose)] + [SharesYouBoughtToday x (TodayClose - PurchasedPrice)]
What about days where I sold shares? This equation is only interested in the day change of the current portfolio (i.e. stocks that you are currently holding). As for positions that are closed, they will be considered under closed positions.
Appreciate the user who highlighted this to me. Lets all continue to work together to make StocksCafe better for everyone!
Screener Alert Emails
Note: This feature is limited to
Friends of StocksCafe only.
This is another feature suggested by users which I personally need as well. Previously, you can choose to have screeners run daily and include the results with your daily market update email. However, there are two issues with this.
1) Although users can adjust the
type of content they want in the daily market update email, the daily content is still overwhelming.
2) Screener results tend to be the same in a short timeframe. Or worse, there is a new stock that passed the screener but was missed out on by users because it was cluttered with repeated stocks from previous days.
To overcome the above issues, I have now added options for separate emails to be sent only if a new stock has passed the chosen screener.
- I have chosen option "Trigger D7" for screener X.
- On 16 Nov 2017: Stock A and B passed; email will be sent stating that stock A and B passed screener X.
- On 17 Nov 2017: Stock A and C passed; email only stating that stock C has passed screener X will be sent. Why only C? Because stock A has been triggered within the last 7 days.
- On 18 Nov 2017: Stock A, B, and C passed; no email will be sent. Why? Because Stock A, B, and C have been triggered within the last 7 days.
- On 23 Nov 2017: Stock B and stock C passed; email will be sent stating that stock B has passed screener X. Why only B? Again, it is because stock C has been triggered within the last 7 days.
I hope my explanation of this new feature is clear. Personally, I have been using this feature for the last week and I love it. I do not miss stocks suggestions anymore and can focus on only stocks that have "freshly" cleared my screeners. I hope this feature will be useful for you as well.
- It is over my head. Sorry. It is not your fault. Its me! Any other way to explain this using video tutorial etc for dummy "friends" like me?
30 Nov 2017 22:36:12
- I was referring to Screener Alert Emails
30 Nov 2017 22:37:02
- Essentially, to prevent sending you emails with the same contents day after day (causing you to ignore them after some time). I add in a delay to ensure that if the contents is the same as the day before, do not send email. Is this better? Sorry, I do not have video tutorial. I can continue to try various ways to explain :)
Or maybe the best way is to simply try it out :)
30 Nov 2017 23:49:16
- Thank you.
1 Dec 2017 16:50:58
- Hi Evan, may i know how to setup to receive the screener alert emails.. me blur..
5 Jan 2018 17:56:32
1) Go to https://stocks.cafe/tools/alert
2) From "Saved Screeners", select "Trigger D7" for screeners that you are interested in.
3) Wait for 24 hours, StocksCafe will send you an email if there exists any stocks that satisfy the screener. (Hence if you want to do this for testing purpose, you should run the screeners now and ensure there exists stocks that satisfy it)
5 Jan 2018 18:06:21
- Hi Evan - thanks for the instructions, but i still don't get it.. on the left of the screen i see "Conditions", and on the right side "Save Screener", but i don't see "Trigger D7"..
6 Jan 2018 16:49:12
- Hi sinvestg02, the "Trigger D7" is an options on the dropdown box under "Email" column. The dropdown box is likely showing "Do Not Email" or "Include in Daily".
6 Jan 2018 22:00:06
- Hi Evan - i still don't see it.. wanted to do a screenshot to show you, but can't paste it here..
10 Jan 2018 18:17:17
Next Article >
< Previous Article
Now Available: United States Stock ...
Downtime Notice - Migrating Away ...
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Do You Really Know How To Calculate Current Yield?
This seemingly simple equation is in fact not that easy to compute. I recently adjusted and optimized the calculation of Current Yield from insights and discussions that several users have brought forth. What is Current Yield? English Definition: Current yield is an investment's annual income (interest or dividends) divided by the current price of the security (Source: Investopedia). Mathematical Definition: ...
Introducing the New Wall
As mentioned in the first article of 2017, one of SGXcafe's focus is to improve mobile engagement. So here we are, with our first baby step. I was never a fan of how SGXcafe's home page was as it did not allow users to easily catch up on the latest happenings since their last visit, and the format was not mobile-friendly. Hence we are introducing a Wall that is inspired by Facebook's feed where all ...
A little more than a year ago, I added a feature that projects how much dividends you are likely to receive for the current year in your Portfolio Report. Although it is a simple feature with naive assumptions, it is actually one of the top most-liked features. Hence, upon the request of Friends of StocksCafe, I spent some time over the weekend to include dividend projection in more areas of StocksCafe. ...