Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 28 Jan 2019  -  9,341 views
Mobile app for StocksCafe is now available again! Here is the
Android link and this is the
This is an early version and hence lacking many features. Of course, I will continue to add more features to it over time and the final goal is to make it as comprehensive as the desktop web version where possible.
If you prefer to install the pseudo mobile app which has more features supported currently, please follow the instructions
on this article.
Almost since the start of StocksCafe, users have been requesting for a mobile app. This request is not surprising as 50% of sessions of StocksCafe comes from mobile.
Given the limitation of being a one-man show, I tried to fulfill it with a simple short-term solution by building WebView app (i.e. basically a browser branded with StocksCafe) and released them in July (for
iOS) and August (for
Android) of 2016.
While it was meant to be a simple short-term solution, it was a bad solution for various reasons. I had more code bases to maintain (one for iOS, one for Android and one for Web) and worst, they are in different programming languages (cannot share code and had to learn more languages). This solution worked for a while
until Apple decided to update their swift version and have an inanely complicated way of recovering passwords.
My next solution was simply to encourage users to
install pseudo mobile app for StocksCafe. This solution still works, and if you do not mind it being imperfect in term of aesthetics, I would recommend it in the interim because it is quite comprehensive in terms of features.
All the above are just compromises and short-term solutions; I really do want to build native mobile apps that would give StocksCafe users a good mobile user experience.
Hence, for the last few weeks, I have been working hard on researching the modern way of building mobile apps effectively, then learning the framework which I believe would be the long-term solution, and finally actually building it. Of course, it is a far more complex process than I just described, but I'm sure you get the idea.
The happy news is that we now have native mobile apps for StocksCafe which you can download from
Play Store (for Android), or
App Store (for iOS).
This is an early version and hence lacking many features but I will continue adding features to it until it can satisfy everything you need to do with StocksCafe while on the go!
I would like to invite you to let me know what is the
most important feature you need on the go. To keep in line with the definition of "most", please suggest only one feature per person :)
- Thanks Evan! Is it possible to allow the user to choose some key info of their stock holdings eg average price, number of shares etc. which they can scroll to the right under the portfolio current tab. This can give user a quick look at key infor of their portfolio especially when making purchase or selling decisions. But may want to limit the number of key info one can choose. Similar to how it can be done on the web based version.
28 Jan 2019 13:06:57
- Added this ticket to reflect the request => https://stocks.cafe/friend/viewissue?issue_id=982
28 Jan 2019 15:33:37
- Thank you so much for the hardwork! Just a random question, do you have any resources that you used to build this app? Was always thinking of learning the know-how.
28 Jan 2019 17:11:09
- Great start! Hope for more features to be added in soon, esp dividends and prices and daily performance
28 Jan 2019 22:08:27
- " dividends and prices and daily performance " => of individual stocks? You can see them now.
29 Jan 2019 05:06:22
- Great Job Evan! Thanks for the hard work!
30 Jan 2019 20:13:06
- @evan, At the moment, we can only see the performance of individual stocks for that day.
Will be good if we can have the information of the performance of our total portfolio for that day (Day Change).
Also, how much stock we have, our cost price etc, will be very helpful. Like what is shown in our portfolio view on desktop.
Hope this make sense.
12 Feb 2019 13:03:59
- "Will be good if we can have the information of the performance of our total portfolio for that day (Day Change). " => You can on Portfolio/Overview. There is a + after "Total Portfolio", it will give "Day Change"
"Also, how much stock we have, our cost price etc, will be very helpful. Like what is shown in our portfolio view on desktop." => I suppose you mean, the ability to choose which column to display. Sure. Will do.
12 Feb 2019 13:44:06
Next Article >
< Previous Article
Quick Updates: You can now override ...
Net Worth & Financial Freedom Index
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Quick Features' Update: Multiple Portfolio in Emails, New Portfolio Profile Page, and more
I had some time this weekend and managed to finish up a few user requests, and would like to share them: 1) Individual Portfolio in Daily Market Update Emails Now you can opt to view the performance of each portfolio you own by simply going to this page and checking the "Individual Portfolio - Information about each portfolio you own" box. You will see the performance of your individual portfolios ...
Screen for HK Stocks in StocksCafe Now!
This is a short article to quickly share what I did for StocksCafe this past weekend: Screen for HK stocks I have updated the Screener so that you can now also screen for Hong Kong stocks! New Facebook Page As I have recently migrated the website from SGXcafe to StocksCafe, I wanted to change name on the facebook page from SGXcafe to StocksCafe, but was repeatedly rejected by Facebook. Hence, I decided ...
What to buy next? - Part 2
There exists hundreds of stocks in SGX and deciding what to buy next is not an easy task. In part one of the "What to buy next?" article, I shared a few tools in SGXcafe designed to help me with this problem, including a new screener tool, Screener added to SGXcafe about 3 weeks ago. Screener was met with very positive response and high usage, and I received comments on how useful it was and requests ...