Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 6 May 2019  -  15,995 views
Last week, I spent some time
improving Stock Screener. This week, I took time to focus on Portfolio Report & My Dashboard.
Apart from various tweaks here and there, I would like to bring your attention to two updates:
Customize Baseline: Previously, the performance of portfolios were compared against
SGX:ES3 as the baseline. Now, you can customize and set the baseline to be any stock supported by StocksCafe. In addition, based on feedback I received, I have also made it such that you can even
set a different baseline for different portfolios. Go set them up and see how each of your portfolios fare against their respective baselines!
Annual Income: I wanted a more compete overview of my personal finance, so I added another graph in
My Dashboard which will show the annual income. My recommendation for using this is:
Create a new asset and name it
Me, then add in your annual salary on 31 Dec every year. You will then be able to see how your total annual income (Stocks + Other Assets) changes over time!
What do you think of these changes and additions? Let me know if you have any suggestions to make them better!
- In my opinion, income should include
- Dividends received
- Profit/loss from closed positions
- Salary etc income
- Profit/loss from other investments
I don't expect to see the changes in the "market value of my portfolio" as income until I sell/realize the profit or loss.
I am just an engineer... I might be wrong LOL
6 May 2019 17:29:29
- Can there be multiple baseline in the report?
6 May 2019 17:33:00
- "Can there be multiple baseline in the report?" => Technically possible but troublesome to change at this point. Also, visually, might be hard to display/align.
I don't expect to see the changes in the "market value of my portfolio" as income until I sell/realize the profit or loss. => This is actually a good point. Maybe I should remove Unrealized P&L. What do others think?
6 May 2019 18:15:22
- Yep, capital gains/losses should not be treated as income.
6 May 2019 22:22:02
- Done. Removed unrealized P&L.
7 May 2019 06:06:53
- It might be useful to show "how much of my income I have invested" in that year. It can be shown in a clustered bar chart (if it is not too painful technically)
7 May 2019 10:01:32
- Invested means the cost to obtain the income?
7 May 2019 16:32:27
- Apologies for the incorrect graph at imgur.
For example my income is 80 K. I have invested 30 K. Spent the remaining 50K. The bar will have 2 colours. 50K + 30K stacked. Total will be 80K. That graph will show our savings vs income per year.
7 May 2019 19:07:22
- Hmm.. Do not understand. "Spent the remaining 50K." => How would SC know this? :)
7 May 2019 20:06:09
- SC knows the income and invested amount. What happens to the remaining money? Goes under the pillow? :)
7 May 2019 21:45:54
- lol. Well.. More precisely, the remaining is non-invested/non-accounted money, people can do many things with that money including putting them under the pillow and hide them from SC :)
Anyway, would you like to consolidate the discussion into a feature request?
8 May 2019 06:44:39
- thanks evan! could i check if there is a feature to show the watchlist: individual shares against my price alert level?
8 May 2019 15:14:17
- Not that I remember. Would you like to create a feature request for that? Also, I am not sure what is the best way to do this within the current framework.
8 May 2019 21:32:37
- ad Customize Baseline: great, thanks, I've been waiting for this.
9 May 2019 02:00:37
Next Article >
< Previous Article
Quick Updates: Improved Screener
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Analyze and Compare Stocks (using SGXcafe)
Analyze Every investor has his/her favorite set of metrics that they look at when performing stock analysis and valuation. Therefore, it is difficult to decide which metric to display in SGXcafe, hence most of the time, I simply choose to display information that I am personally interested in. But I want to make SGXcafe more customizable so that it can provide better value to everyone. Incidentally, ...
Quick Updates: Improved Screener
Over the last few days, I spent time making several improvements and bug fixes to StocksCafe Screener. Two improvements to bring to attention: 1) Display Metrics: You can now display any metric you want in the results without having to use them in your screener. This can be useful for exploration when you do not yet know the correct value to set for that particular metric in your screener. 2) Customizable ...
Past & Future of StocksCafe
It's been three weeks since my last article, but in case you think StocksCafe is going dormant, it is not! During these three weeks, I have still been maintaining StocksCafe, answering queries and fixing reported bugs, etc. It's just that I did not have time to sit down and build a more sizeable feature that is worth mentioning. The main reason for this is because of my recent business trip to United ...