Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 21 Mar 2021  -  3,383 views
[For those who are not trading options, you can skip this article]
Disclaimer: I am not encouraging anyone to do options trading. Just sharing that if you are, StocksCafe now supports it as well.
Over the years, there have been various requests for StocksCafe to support Options trading, and I know that some users use the "Other Assets" feature to track options.
Over the last few days, I spent some time to build out a
Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to support options transactions more natively. There are however, various limitations that I would like to highlight in this MVP.
1) No options pricing data
StocksCafe does not have any (whether daily or delayed) options pricing. This means that any computations can only be based on strike price, premiums, and close price of the underlying asset.
2) Supports only options on Stocks supported by StocksCafe.
This means that not all options are supported unless the underlying asset is supported in StocksCafe. Specifically, you might not be able to input transactions of Index options. If this is a serious limitation for you, please reach out to me and we can discuss more about it.
3) Options feature is still quite isolated
In order to quickly release this feature, I have specifically designed this feature to be quite independent from other parts of StocksCafe for simplicity. Of course, there are plans have it more integrated wth other parts of StocksCafe in future.
As this is just the MVP version, there are many features lacking. As always, feel free to make
feature requests or
bug reports if you find any.
- I dont trade in options and would not encourage other to. Hence appreciate the disclaimer at the top
21 Mar 2021 15:40:36
- Great. Hope in the future it will integrate to stock portfolio and be able to calculate avg price once the option is exercise.
21 Mar 2021 16:27:27
- Awesome Evan.. wasn't expecting this but great add. Will see whether I can do away with keying in my options trades separately now!
21 Mar 2021 19:14:02
- Hi Evan, this is a great feature I have been waiting for!!!. If you can add the following features:
1. Allow to enter the vertical spreads
2. I do trade a lot on SPX and it is not allowing me to enter it.
3. Amount conversion to SGD is incorrect. I tried entering 1 position where USD amt is 223.99 the SGD amt is displaying as 5373.52
21 Mar 2021 22:21:06
- Yessssssssssss, great job, Evan!
21 Mar 2021 23:17:28
- great addition on this option tracking.. as I sell puts to get a better price for the underlying to be assigned. If not assigned, it will be good cashflows to my portfolio.
22 Mar 2021 20:22:17
For vertical spreads, you can try using the copy feature here -> https://stocks.cafe/options/transactions
For SPX, it is more tricky, StocksCafe does not support index directly. So, I wonder which solution is better for you. 1) Allow SPX directly but when we integrate it more closely with other parts of StocksCafe, it might cause some issues (nothing major I believe though) 2) Use SPY instead.
For the conversion issue, it is because you have entered fees in the FX rate field.
23 Mar 2021 06:44:04
Next Article >
< Previous Article
You Can Now Track Cryptocurrencies ...
My first public appearance representing ...
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Analyze and Compare Stocks (using SGXcafe)
Analyze Every investor has his/her favorite set of metrics that they look at when performing stock analysis and valuation. Therefore, it is difficult to decide which metric to display in SGXcafe, hence most of the time, I simply choose to display information that I am personally interested in. But I want to make SGXcafe more customizable so that it can provide better value to everyone. Incidentally, ...
Introducing Technical Charts to SGXcafe
I have been interested in learning and integrating various approaches, namely fundamental analysis, technical analysis, portfolio management and machine learning to help myself make better investments/trades. This is the one of the reasons why SGXcafe exists. Recently, I started learning more about technical analysis through a book titled, Come into my Trading Room. I am thankful to Azrael for introducing ...
As the number of registered users in StocksCafe continue to increase, there are bound to be users who have registered but stopped using StocksCafe. Currently, I continue to update their portfolio and even send them the daily market update emails (if they have set it up that way). However, this is bad for everyone. For the inactive users, the daily market update emails are likely deemed as spam. For ...