Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 15 Mar 2017  -  1,986 views
The first article of SGXcafe appeared on 15 March 2015, hence I set this date to be the birthday of SGXcafe. On this day, let's review the good and bad that happened in the past year.
SGXcafe has grown significantly in the past year; it currently has more than half a million pageviews every month coming from 30,000 unique visitors. More importantly, it has received support from 177 users in the form of money, and numerous others via feedback, bug reports, and suggestions. Thank you all very much!
Personally, through SGXcafe, I have also gained in many ways (except monetary). Understanding the nitty gritty details and technology needed to build and maintain a website; made friends with many like-minded people and even had meals with several; received numerous offers to work together, and even an offer to buy SGXcafe. Hence, despite the tremendous time and money needed to run SGXcafe, I am certainly enjoying it.
Due to my lack of business abilities, SGXcafe is still unable to generate enough revenue to cover the operating cost. It is still relying on two sources of revenue: Google Adsense and donations. Adsense is usually stable, however, donations depend on whether I shamelessly keep asking :)
Another sad thing is that about 15-20% of the pageviews are still ad-blocked. Someone even
requested an ad-blocker tool to explicitly overcome SGXcafe's ad-blocker detection. Really? Are ads in SGXcafe so annoying? I only use non-intrusive high quality ads from Google. I invest time and money to provide value through SGXcafe, yet there are people like "clapfish" who invest time and effort to ensure that SGXcafe gets nothing from them. To be honest, I am extremely disappointed by such people.
In the recent days, many users have been requesting for SGXcafe to support more markets. Using this opportunity, I would like to announce that SGXcafe will soon expand to support a new market. As for which one it will be, it is currently being voted for in the private Friends of SGXcafe section.
The interesting thing is that
the larger the market size, the more data providers there are, and therefore the data costs is actually likely to be a fraction of what it costs for the Singapore market.
Hopefully with the new market's larger potential and lower cost, SGXcafe can be profitable when it turns three!
- Congrats! Ignore the negative people. They r not worth your time
15 Mar 2017 11:34:56
- You are doing a great job evan, keep it up!
15 Mar 2017 13:27:43
- Thanks Evan! Appreciate all the hard work. This is a great platform and easy to use!
15 Mar 2017 13:43:01
- I really appreciate this platform, and having it as a tool to organise my portfolio. Thanks for your hard work and dedication. I was thinking about becoming a member, and your 2nd anniversary post helped me to take the plunge. :) Congratulations, and all the best for the future! Looking forward to the new market addition and hopefully more markets in future ;)
15 Mar 2017 14:17:37
- Congrats for turning 2. :) Appreciate all the hard work.
In SGXcafe we have a very dynamic website with new features and changes are introduced quite often.
Waiting for the month to end to know new market to be added.
15 Mar 2017 16:12:12
- Happy Birthday SGXcafe! Thanks Evan for the great works!
15 Mar 2017 16:29:19
- Thanks for your hard work.
15 Mar 2017 17:48:08
- If there is crowdfunding to raise SGXcafe to the next level, I will definitely want to be involved. Congrats for the milestone and appreciate all the hard work. This website is definitely something that newbie investors like me can learn a lot from.
15 Mar 2017 17:56:00
- Thank you all! The crowdfunding idea certainly sounds good as SGXcafe tries to expands to multiple region. Does anyone know any platform that is best for my purpose?
15 Mar 2017 18:13:06
- Congrats. Appreciate all the hard work
15 Mar 2017 21:13:20
- Appreciate all the hard work
15 Mar 2017 22:35:12
- Now SGXcafe app become my daily use monitoring tool..Thanks Evan! Happy birthday SGXcafe!!
15 Mar 2017 22:40:30
16 Mar 2017 08:33:28
- Be shameless.
16 Mar 2017 10:17:26
- Thanks Evan, great job and Happy Birthday to SGXcafe.
16 Mar 2017 13:25:31
- Hi Evan,
How time flies. It's a great platform and I appreciate the daily updates especially for busy people like me. I will definitely continue to recommend SGXcafe.
16 Mar 2017 16:27:28
- Consider starting your own fund and charge a fee % of AUM!
16 Mar 2017 19:52:26
- Congrats SGXCafe and Thanks Evan for the good work on the website!
I like Guang89's idea of a SGXCafe fund...
16 Mar 2017 21:38:39
- Check out MoolahSense or KickStarter?
16 Mar 2017 22:25:45
- Congrats Evan, keep rolling and going! Don't mind the detractors, there will always be some around :)
17 Mar 2017 10:35:24
- Thank you all again for the well wishes!~
17 Mar 2017 20:01:27
Next Article >
< Previous Article
SGXcafe to Expand to APAC!
Stock of The Day
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Bull or Bear?
"No price is too high for a bull or too low for a bear" - an old Wall Street proverb It is a known fact that investors can be over-optimistic or over-pessimistic at times. When a series of good news happens, investors switch into the optimistic mode, often over-optimistic, and significantly bid up the price of a stock ditching any rational pricing theory whatsoever. Any high price will be justified ...
Growing Dividends - Does Debt-to-equity Ratio and Operating Cashflow Matter?
I believe there are many investors like me who love to invest in companies that pay dividends. Naturally, we hope that companies we invest in would have growing dividends. So, the question is "How can we differentiate companies that will have growing dividends from others?" In an attempt to find an answer to this question, I will perform a series of analyses in this and upcoming articles. Today, I ...
More Updates: Dividends Override Bug and More Dividends-Related Improvements
Dividends Override was introduced to SGXcafe during the time when one account can hold only one portfolio. Soon after, I introduced the support for Multiple Portfolios in SGXcafe. However, Dividends Override was not updated to support Multiple Portfolios. This mistake potentially caused some mistakes in computing the total dividends you have collected if you happen to hold the same stock in different ...