Subscribe to RSS feed
posted on 15 May 2016  -  13,737 views
Long Story Short
SGXcafe will continue to be free, but to cover for the high operating costs due to
licensing, I would like to invite you to do one or more of the following if you would like to show your support for SGXcafe.
1) Help increase awareness of SGXcafe. You can do this via your blog,
share SGXcafe's articles on facebook, or simply via word of mouth to people whom you believe can benefit from SGXcafe.
Donate to SGXcafe. Any amount is greatly appreciated, but if you make a donation of at least SGD 30 (which is less than 10 cents a day), you will become a
Friend of SGXcafe for a year, and that would allow you to participate in private surveys, discussions and more that would shape the future of SGXcafe.
I sincerely invite you to do one or more of the above if you feel that SGXcafe has been providing you value in your investment journey.
The Long Story
Recently, I contemplated charging a small monthly fee for the usage of SGXcafe due to
licensing issues which has increased SGXcafe's operating cost by several hundred times from just
several tens of dollars to
several tens of thousands of dollars yearly.
After further consideration and feedback, I have decided to keep SGXcafe free for a few reasons.
1) When I was contemplating how much to charge, what features should be in which tier, and how to convert users from non-paying to paying, it was all a big headache to me. More importantly, thinking about all these and then having to implement them takes up a good amount of time, which I could have otherwise used to actually make SGXcafe better.
I started SGXcafe partly because I wanted to have fun sharing knowledge and information, and I would much rather spend my time that way rather than constantly thinking about how I can gain that extra dollar from users.
2) I recently read a book where it talks about social exchange vs market exchange. Currently, SGXcafe is based on social exchange, where I am freely sharing knowledge and information and other users are also contributing by freely sharing their portfolios and patiently sharing their thoughts on how SGXcafe can be better. If it becomes a paid service, it would become a market exchange where users would have likely higher expectations and less patience, even if it is just a few dollars a month.
Therefore, on second thought, I feel that by making it a paid service would take the fun out of creating SGXcafe and might potentially create more problems than it actually solves.
However, there is still the very real problem of several tens of thousands dollars in licensing fees to pay yearly. In the long run, I hope that advertising revenue will be able to cover that. But currently, advertising revenue is able to cover only 10-15% of the licensing fees, which means that SGXcafe would have to grow by around ten times to achieve that goal. So in the short term, before SGXcafe can run solely on advertising revenue, I would like to ask for donations to SGXcafe. Any amount is greatly appreciated but any amount equal or higher than SGD 30 would make you a
Friend of SGXcafe for a year and that would enable you to participate in private surveys and discussions mainly centered around the future of SGXcafe.
Why SGD 30? I chose this amount because (1) it is less than 10 cents a day, and (2) if every active user of SGXcafe donates that amount, it will be sufficient to fully cover the licensing fees.
Why Friend of SGXcafe? As I was mulling over the recent issues, I feel there are limitations to what a single person can do. Hence, I would like to invite more people to join me in making decisions for SGXcafe. If you are willing to support by donating, the act itself shows that you care about SGXcafe, and I value the opinions of people who care about SGXcafe.
How will donations be used? Donations will be used
solely for licensing fees, and in the happy event where donations exceed licensing fees, I will ask Friends of SGXcafe on how we should use the extra cash; save for next year? License more in-depth data? License more exchanges' data such as Hong Kong, Malaysia, or others?
Thank you for your support; Let's work together to make SGXcafe better!
- Thank you very much for your decision , as a show of support , i am donating :) , please keep your spirit alive!
15 May 2016 22:18:10
- Thanks! I have replied your email :)
15 May 2016 22:33:40
- Thanks will be donating,drop you a mail when I'm done.don't mind me asking but will the fundamentals data be back online?
17 May 2016 02:24:25
- Hi, some are already back -> https://www.sgxcafe.com/stock/profile/D05/dbs+group+holdings+ltd
And will progressively continue to come back online. Or maybe you mean the old iScreener and Comparator tools which is certainly also in the pipeline but there are many more features to work on than I have time.
So, I am now trying to let users to help me decide what should be features that I prioritize on.
17 May 2016 05:37:38
- Yup I meant the old screener with the John Nerf thingy if I remeber correctly where fundamentals are listed.anyway good to hear and thanks for everything
17 May 2016 15:56:37
- I see. Yup. They are on their way but those are actually more time-consuming in terms of implementing hence I was working on the easy stuff first :)
17 May 2016 19:23:11
- How do we donate?
28 May 2016 14:23:52
- Thanks for wanting to support :)
You can find the information here -> https://www.sgxcafe.com/help/support
28 May 2016 16:02:12
Next Article >
< Previous Article
Rank and Compare Stocks Based on ...
Dividends Collected is Back, and ...
List All Articles
Other articles by evankoh
Shares Quantity Now Supports Decimal Values!
Firstly, I would like to apologize to users who were affected by this "migration" last night and seeing errors on many StocksCafe pages. I was making a seemingly simple change, but is actually more complicated. I was making a database change for the field "shares quantity" from only accepting whole numbers (i.e. integers) to allow decimal values (i.e. floats). As integers and floats are considered ...
Try Award-winning Trading Platform And Become Friend of StocksCafe
The first donations for StocksCafe came in May 2016. Although I was very thrilled to know that whatever I built is of enough value to people that many are willing to back it up, it was not my intention to build a paid product. However, the truth is StocksCafe is very dependent on donations as the ad revenue sustains only about 35-45% of current operating costs of StocksCafe. I have been thinking of ...
How "unlucky" can you get from investing?
Investing in the stock market is often deemed as risky and difficult by many. Here, I would show how a simple strategy would perform for a someone who does not know much about the stock market and is very unlucky when it comes to investing. Firstly, for someone without much knowledge in investing, index investing is ideal because it gives good diversification with just one stock. Also, rather than ...